By “projecting” magnetic field outside the Model 5201 Electromagnet, a volume of approximately uniform magnetic flux density is made available for magnetic measurements on small samples. Open access to the sample surface is available for diagnostic probes and radiation from laser and synchrotron radiation sources.
The Bx component of the field is uniform to +/-1% in a planar, thin volume of 2 x 10 x 0.2mm (x, y, z) which is particularly appropriate for studies of in-plane effects in planar samples oriented parallel to the Electromagnet surface.
Bx can be computer or manually controlled over the range of +/-0.4T (4000G) at z = 2mm from the Electromagnet surface, decreasing to a range of +/-0.1T(1000G) at z = 12mm.
The Bz component of the field approaches a range of +/- 0.30T (3000G) as the distance X(mm), x=0 being an equidistant distance between the two poles, at +/-5mm. As the x distance approaches 0 the Bz component of the field also approaches 0.
Small size and low weight enable the 5201 to be mounted in any orientation on standard transverse and rotary motion stages for accurate control of the projected field in position and angle with respect to the sample. The 5201 projected field can be introduced into a vacuum chamber or cryostat via a reentrant tube of 100mm (3.9inch) inside diameter and an appropriate non-magnetic window.
- Development and quality control measurements of in-plane magnetic field effects in magnetic thin films, magnetic media and magnetic devices such as FeRAM and MRAM. The open geometry reduces the difficulties of access to the sample surface for radiation beams for MOKE (Magneto-Optic Kerr Effect) and SMOKE (Surface MOKE).
- Scanning Probe Microscopy utilizing Scanning Electron Microscopy with Polarization Analysis (SEMPA), Scanning Tunneling Microscopes (STM) or Atomic Force Microscopes (AFM) is more easily implemented by the open access to the sample surface.
- Calibration and test cycle times for Hall effect, MR (Magneto Resistive) and GMR (Giant MR) magnetic field sensors can be reduced by simplified robotics for device handling and faster control of field magnitude and direction.
- Chemical reaction rates and biological sample activity in magnetic fields may be more readily monitored because of the improved access for electrical and optical probes.
- Model 5201 Projected Field Electromagnet, Revised November 2011
- 5972 Magnet Control Manual
- Model MC-XYZT Motion Control
- LabVIEW Magnet Control Software Users Manual
- BV Thermal Mercury Series Water Chiller manual (For older Magnet Systems)
- 5201 Side View 5G Surface 20 Amps
- 3D Model, 5201 Electromagnet
- 3D Model, 5201 Pole Extension
- Solidworks eDrawings Viewer for .EPRT files (free download; MS Windows 7, 8, 10)
- Autodesk A360 Viewer for .STEP files (browser based; free with registration)
- Kepco BOP Power Supplies – User Manuals
- Model 5201 Electromagnet Vertical Field Excitation Data
- Model 5201 Electromagnet Magnetic Hysteresis & AC Excitation Test Data
- Model 5201 Electromagnet Field Map Data, Introduction
- Model 5201 Electromagnet Field Map Data
- MMM 2005 Presentation of GMW Model 5201 & GMW Model 5403 Electromagnets
- Magnetic Environment & Safety
- USB DaqPad: model NI USB-6251
- NI PCI-GPIB
- NI PCIe-GPIB
For applications that require a bipolar power supply, we offer the Kepco BOP series. They feature stability of 0.02% over 8 hours, and an optional IEEE-488 interface may be installed either by GMW, or by the user at a later date. The 5201 requires one of the Kepco BOP 20V, 5A or one of the Kepco 20V, 20A. Order part number:
Magnet Current Cables
Pre-terminated cable assembly to connect Kepco power supply direct to magnet is included with 5201, if other type of cable connection is required please contact our sales staff for assistance.
To sustain an operating the 5201 using high current, long duty cycles, or for continious operation GMW offers a water chiller that is air-cooled with refrigerated re-circulation and accompanying water flow control with inlet filter, flow meter, and flow switch.
TF9 B A 115/60 T1 FCR ACOM Water Chiller, Air-cooled, Refrigerated Re-circulating. Includes water temperature and pressure controls, filter, low-flow meter and low flow interlock.
Water Flow Control
11907-0640-0 Water Flow Control includes: filter, flow control, flow meter, flow switch (0.5l/min). Suitable for use with laboratory water systems.
Mounting and Motor Drives
Enabling motion control for model 5201 in rotations stage (T), x, y, and z (z is not a standard option) linear stages. Included in system are all motor and limit cables, 19" rack controller for up to four stepper motors.
MC-XYZT Motion Control System including Z direction
MC-XYT Motion Control System NOT including Z direction
Magnetic Field Measurement
The Senis type F3A miniature Three Axis magnetic field to analog voltage transducers have an analog output for each of the three components of the measured magnetic field. They feature better than ± 1% absolute accuracy and a frequency response from dc to 1kHz. 03A02F-A02T2K5M - Three-Axis Miniature Hall Transducer, 2.0T
S12-5 - Power Supply, ±12V, 90 - 264Vac, 1.8m Cable
11901230 - Probe Holder, aluminum, transverse
CO50-G - Signal Output Cable, Unterminated on one end, 5.0m
Software and PC Interface Cards
BIT-4886 - IEEE-488 Interface Card for BOP Power Supply, 16 bit
AIOC-i5 - All-In-One Computer. Intel Core i5 CPU, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit English, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD±RW, Non-touch 19.5 inch LCD display. Wireless keyboard and mouse. 3 year manufactuer warranty.
LVKCMPS - Driver for Kepco power supplies with IEEE-488 interface.
776670-09 - LabVIEW for Windows Full system package with 1 year service.
778927-01 - USB-GPIB Interface for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10.
Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions:
Prices are for domestic delivery within the USA and Canada.
Prices to other Countries approximately 1.1x USA List Prices.
Prices are expressed in U.S. Dollars, FCA San Carlos, California.
Prices are subject to change without notice.
OEM discounts are available.
Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Prepayment before shipment, or Net 30 days (subject to credit acceptance).
60 to 90 days after receipt of written firm order.